I am a freelance editor and a member of Editors Canada. Previously, I was a technical editor at the software company VMware. Before that, I was a senior technical support engineer at VMware.
A distinction can be made between syntax (sentence construction) and semantics (meaning).
Therefore, I can say that something is
They are cooking apples.
syntactic but ambiguous,
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.
syntactic but nonsensical, or
All your base are belong to us. I can haz cheeseburger?
asyntactic but comprehensible.
Top Network Posts
- 67 Updated comment flagging - Supporting the new Code of Conduct
- 53 "a dollar and change". What does "change" mean?
- 51 Idiom for blaming a bad act on the devil
- 41 Word for not being able to focus on one task
- 38 Is there a word for an object that is no longer kept for its original purpose but instead for sentimental value?
- 34 He discovered that his father had a special box in the basement
- 34 Is there punctuation for words treated as words?
- View more network posts →