Proposal: English Language Learners
Since the proposal has been re-opened and given the excitement its closure caused, I think it is appropriate to further discuss the delineation between ELL and EL&U.
Let us begin with the focus of the sites.
ELL is intended to be geared toward the needs of both people learning English and people teaching English. I feel these general topics (which are currently housed on EL&U) encompass many of those aspects:
- article usage (a, an, the, no article)
- preposition usage
- verb tense
- basic, common syntactical structures
- meanings of slang terms and common idioms
- single word requests in the vicinity of "how is this concept/idiom expressed in English?"
- standard writing etiquette
- methods for learning how to pronounce English sounds clearly
EL&U is geared toward expert and advanced level question about the English language and how it is used. I feel that these general topics represent the level of questions that are desired on that site:
- complex syntax
- unusual or academic structures
- origin/history of words and idioms
- meanings/usages of obscure or archaic words
- interpretation of jokes/puns
- analysis of dialects, pidgins, creoles
- analysis of grammatical structures
- evolution of spelling, pronunciation, etc.
I put this out for your review. I am interested to know what people think about this delineation. I offer it as a starting point and fully expect that it will evolve from here.