I would basically say that if it is done in the guise of real space travel, using currently accepted real methods, then it is on topic. But it has to be in the guise of how do we do something, and not related to a specific story. I would even put some topics that are very advanced today, but have been considered in science fiction, so long as the question focuses on real science and engineering.
So, these would be on topic (Although they might not be good questions)
- How could we get to Mars?
- How could we terraform Mars?
- How to send a solar sail probe to another solar system?
- What would be the best way to deflect an asteroid aimed at Earth?
And these would be off topic:
- How do I build a warp drive?
- How can I build a teleporter?
- Where did the energy to spin the Ringworld come from?
- Are space rifts real?
More questionable, but I would lean towards on topic:
- How much energy would it require to spin a Ringworld (With some fairly specific measurements required)
- How could a Dyson sphere be built?
- How can Mars be terraformed?