I would like a site like StackOverflow but not with the same name to ensure to not confuse anybody. I would like a site like StackOverflow for opinion base questions that admits subjective answers.
The main reason is to enable users to add question of type "What is the best software for ..." or "What is the best control for ...". I've been looking for that for a while and still searching for it.
I recently had one opinion based question but it was put on "Hold" on Stack Overflow and I was really sad, shocked and confused. I really think it is an invaluable type of question and StackOverflow was the best place to get a good answer quickly to it.
I also understand that StackOverflow should refuse that type of question because it is not part of the goal of that site.
Opinion based website has some negatives:
- Create emotional reactions
- Attracts spams
- Attracts non objective answers, sometimes by creators of products/software
- Could lead to inappropriate exchange/words
- Generate lots of unnecessary information
- It is subjective
Opinion based website has also some positives:
- It create debate where lots of useful information came out
- Brings new information that could lead to change some minds / a new vision to readers
- In most case, those questions lead to a solution that will save a lot more time than any other kind of question
- In most case, those questions lead to a solution that will save a lot more of money than any other kind of question (usually related to products)
- Brings creator reaction that would bring additional useful information on the product, reason of certain design decision, ...
Considering the negatives and the positives, I think that a website ('Not StackOverflow') offering the acceptance of this type of questions would be a lot beneficial for users. I think that positives weight more than negatives.
Other considerations for designing that site:
- It should require to comment to post. Not only vote
- It should have an award system as StackOverflow (like reputation)
- It would be nice to have a graphics showing votes and being able to see that graphics on a specific period of time. (Like www.slant.co)
- Forums would not be acceptable because we need a way to vote and we also need an efficent award system for users (for many reasons...).
My opinion is that is due to its rewarding system (reputation), StackOverflow technology would make a good way to implement that kind of website. Also, StackOverflow is well recognized as one of the best place to get answers to software questions. It would be nice if the StackOverflow team would create a website offering those features for the benefits of everyone.
There is http://www.slant.co but they do not let people comments, or comments on comments like do StackExchange. No reputation which give user answers some value.